Vampira

It's been a few days since I watched it, but I still find myself thinking about the Pretty Bloody documentary. I'm not sure what it was, but the whole concept struck a nerve and I've found myself discussing women in the horror industry with a few friends over the last few days. One of the stories that stuck out most for me was about Vampira.

Now, if you're like most of my friends, you've never heard of Vampira, but she was the host of a horror television program in the 1950s, long before Elvira came along. I was blown away not only by her tiny waist, but by the fact that she ended up leaving the show because the television station that aired it wanted to own more than 50% of her character. That decision pretty much ended her career, but I loved that she was willing to stand up for her rights at a time when many actresses were still stuck in the unfair studio system. You can Google Vampira and find out all sorts of interesting things about her life and career, including her work with Ed Wood.



This weekend is a busy one, but I've scheduled in time to work on re-writes. I have a lot done on that and I'm mindful that I could pick away at the novel for the next twenty years and still find things to change, so hopefully this will be a fruitful session. I'd like to start pitching agents and publishers when I'm back from my honeymoon in July, so at least I have a deadline in mind.