Because I Love My Book Club

As I've mentioned before in the blog, my office now has a book club. I've always wanted to be in a book club, so I've been super enthusiastic about it ever since the topic came up for discussion. I love to read, I love to talk about books and the chance to hang out with some of the lovely ladies at my office a little more often is a pretty good thing too.

One of the great things that's come out of it is that I've discovered some amazing authors that I otherwise would have missed out on. So far my favourite selection, hands down, has been Joseph Boyden's Through Black Spruce. It won The Giller Prize this year and deservedly so.

Our next selection is The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak, which I will fully admit to never having heard of before. The reviews are excellent, though, so I'm looking forward to starting it.

Right now I'm reading A Brief History of Anxiety (Yours and Mine) by Patricia Pearson. It's not on the book club list, but I read an interview with the author in Chatelaine last year and it struck a chord. It's a good book, though not as intense an experience as I had been expecting. I'm not quite sure what I was hoping for with this one, but I haven't found it. Still, I'm enjoying it overall and learning more than I ever would have expected about the history of anxiety. Who knew that it's always been with us.

I've found that I'm reading so much more recently - a happy outcome of being part of a group that encourages such things. It's not helping me edit my book any faster, but I think it all balances out in the end. It's certainly keeping me motivated to write. I'm also looking into the possibility of joining a writer's group or organization. I checked out the Toronto Romance Writers Association, but I'm not sure if that's quite right for me. I'd love suggestions for others that might be a good fit.