A Bloody Good Time

Over the summer months I tend to cut down my TV viewing, partly because most of my favourite shows are in re-runs, but also because I tend to find myself with a bit more energy after work during the warmer months. Maybe it’s the extra hours of daylight, but I’m certainly not complaining.

That said, there is one show on my ‘can’t miss’ list all summer long – HBO’s True Blood. Shawn and I started watching the show last year and at first were a little thrown off by all the sex, violence and oddball characters. Usually, we love those elements in a TV show, but it took us awhile to find the flow with this one. Once we did, we were hooked. I would say that True Blood now rates second only to Dexter amongst our favourite shows, which is saying a lot given our devotion to all things Dexter.

There are times when Sookie and Bill’s human/vamp relationship seems a little frustrating (they seem to fight more than any couple I know, the results of course being far more interesting than any mere human disagreement), but overall I find myself rooting for them despite the occasional eye-roll at their constant break-up/make-up style. And this season, even though the spats continue, the relationship seems on much more solid ground.

And I love the other characters – Tara with her little girl lost underneath the brash, tough-girl exterior, Lafayette whose flamboyantly gay antics have been dulled by his recent vamp captivity is now more complex than ever, tormented Jason who was sucked into an anti-vampire religious sect after the murder of his girlfriend left him lost and looking for his place in the world and shape-shifter Sam who seems to be having an affair with a new waitress every episode is morphing into both a dog and a bizarrely lovable character. And I could go on and on and on, from the alcoholic detective and his put-upon Sheriff boss through to Tara ’s newly exorcised mother and far beyond, True Blood offers some of the most well-written characters on TV today.

We’ve turned several of our friends into converts since we started watching I can’t wait to turn a few more on to the fangbanging fabulosity.