Clean Eating


On a recent trip to Costco I picked up an issue of Clean Eating magazine. I’d never heard of it, but the recipes looked good and I thought we’d give it a try. It turned out to be a great read and it helped me with the realization that, more than just giving up sugar, my new diet is about embracing the idea of clean eating.

Since implementing this new way of eating, I’ve become so much more conscious of what goes into the food we put into our bodies. I read labels now. I mean, really read them. Before, I would check the calories and fat, maybe the sodium, and toss it into the cart if it didn’t look too bad. I loved anything classified as a 100 Calorie snack and happily noshed on whatever whenever without too much thought beyond calories and fat.

These days I have more fun in the produce section than anywhere else in the grocery store, filling our cart with fresh fruit and veggies. We have cut way down on processed foods and we spend a lot longer looking over the nutritional stats on any product that we are considering buying. Shawn has always been really interested in healthy eating, but together we are becoming and even stronger team. We have started putting things back on the shelf if the ingredient list is too long and if it’s full of things we can’t pronounce.

So with all this in mind, Clean Eating is a great addition to our reading list. There are lots of recipes full of fresh, natural ingredients – including desserts with no refined sugars or artificial sweeteners! I can’t wait to try the sweet potato brownies – I’ll post a review when I make them.

One negative – we looked up subscribing and six issues would run us about $40/year because, even though the magazine is made in Canada , it does not offer the same discount in pricing to Canadians. A little weird, but I’m sure they have their reasons. For now we will just pick it up when we come across it in stores.