Martini Madness

I gave into temptation tonight at a dinner out. What can I say, my downfall was the pear martini prominently displayed on the table card. Shawn actually encouraged this indulgence, as he did the ice cream - he sees the occasional treat as a perfect way to avoid a complete meltdown at some point.

I'm at the stage now where I could have gone without and not totally obsessed about it, but there was something so fantastic about giving in this time when it was something I really, really wanted. And, unlike the ice cream, this martini felt so, so worth it. I think it may have been the best martini I ever had. But instead of gulping it down and ordering another, like I would have in my sugar soaked life, I sipped it all through dinner. I have never had a martini last that long in my life - and every sweet sip was perfect.



A lot of the sugar-free diets advocate abstaining from alcohol. I've found that in life overall that's not bad advice. But I like a drink now and then. So far this month I've had whiskey with club soda twice, during social events. It's been a good lower sugar option for me. I don't think I'll be going back to drinking sugary sweet drinks on a regular basis (those were always my favourites), but it was nice to know that there are some sweet things that still taste better than ever.