Climbing Back on Board

This week has been better. I feel good about most of the food choices that I’ve made, though I’ve noticed that I feel ravenous a lot of the time. I’m not sure what’s up with that, since I’ve actually found that my insane hunger has been a little more under control since I cut down on sugar and started eating a cleaner diet. Maybe my week of excess left me with a lot of work to re-do.

I’ve tried not to give in too much to the hunger, unless I feel like it’s a genuine need and not just the scary cravings monster rearing its ugly head yet again. I caved and had some of those Quaker rice crisps a few times, but those are such a nutritional wasteland that I’m determined not to make that a habit. Some of Quaker’s rice cakes are made from brown rice, so those feel like a better choice. It’s just that those don’t tend to be what I want when it’s 8:30pm and I’m tired and watching C.S.I.

And during the day I’ve turned to Lara Bars a few too many times this week. I think those are a great food for when you’re on-the-go and aren’t able to stop for a proper re-fuel. Typically I’ll turn to them once a week or so when I have to run errands that involve me getting home later than normal or if I’m going to be out all day and am not sure what healthy options will be available. They were a huge help when my mother-in-law was in the hospital and I was there every weekend – who knew hospital food was so unhealthy? But this week I’ve found myself starving mid-morning and eating half of one to get me through to lunch. Then mid-afternoon I find myself digging into the second half.

It’s not the worst snack in the world and I’ve only done this a few times this week, but it still makes me think that there’s something not right in my diet. Hopefully this weekend I’ll get in a good grocery shop so that I’ll have lots of fresh fruit and veggies to help me through any cravings.