A Stumble, Then a Fall

I fell off the clean eating wagon this week. It was probably inevitable that it would happen at some point, I just didn't think I would do it in such spectacular fashion. It started out innocently enough with a few bites of the wedding cake that my mother-in-law had frozen after our wedding. I brought it into the office so that I wouldn't have a ton in my freezer and was tempted into just a few bites. It was super sweet and gave me a headache.

The next evening Shawn and I had a romantic date night, our first in awhile, and we decided to just forego clean eating for that one day. So we split popcorn at the movies (no butter or topping, but still...) then we had pad thai at one of my favourite restaurants and I had a raspberry martini. I should have stopped there, of course, but I think that the wedding cake triggered my sugar cravings and I talked him into splitting a slice of pumpkin cheesecake. It was divine. We walked home afterwards (about 45 minutes), but I still felt overly full and gross.

The next day was better and I resolved to get to the gym, but a friend came into town unexpectedly and I joined her for dinner instead. It was worth it to see her, but the cleanish-sounding wrap I ordered for dinner ended up being a bit more sauce-heavy then the description and, once again, I ended the day on a poor meal choice.

Then last night, after a day of better choices, Shawn's band played a show. We ended up eating dinner at Tim Horton's since there wasn't a lot of other options outside of bar food in that area. So dinner was once again not clean, but at least better than fries and a burger. Being out with friends and having a blast, it was easy to have a drink... or four... over the course of a very long evening. I've been drinking whiskey and club soda when I want a cleaner option, but overdoing it is never good. It was the most I've had to drink in ages and at the end of the night we ended up going for pizza to put some food in my stomach - a bad habit that neither of us have engaged in in ages.

This morning I feel pretty gross. I'm disappointed that I only got to the gym twice this week because of my hectic schedule and that my social eating put me so far off track. It does firm up my resolve to get back on the wagon this week, though. I've already scheduled in my gym visits and, starting today, I will be eating clean again. I could beat myself up about the choices I made (and, if I'm being honest, I already have), but I have to look at this as a setback in what has otherwise been a pretty steady few months of doing the best I can. It was a tough week with way more events and activities then I've had to deal with since I started on this journey to better health and I realized that in the future I'll need to better prepare for those sorts of busy times. Today is a new day and I'm going to look forward from here on in.