Survival of the Fittest

I had a fitness test at my gym the other day to update my progress since I started going six months ago. When I first started, my whole focus was on getting ready for the wedding, so I was just looking to tone up my arms a bit. I wasn’t overly motivated and I was swamped with wedding errands, so my first few months were a bit spotty attendance-wise.

But once the wedding was over I found myself in a mood for change. I cut off all my hair, I stopped ODing on sugar every day, I started making an effort to read more and I determined that in order to be healthy and happy I needed to commit to really, really trying. So the gym visits became more regular – three times a week minimum – and I started to take my plan seriously.

It turns out that when you eat properly (or at least far better than you have in 30 years) and work out three days a week, you start to see real results. When I did my first fitness test I was so out of shape that I barely made it to a ‘fair’ fitness rating. In the seven minute stationary bike ride I thought I was going to pass out and my heart rate was through the roof. This time it was hard to get my heart rate high enough to register while riding AND talking to my amazing trainer. I wasn’t winded at all and I felt fantastic.

I am lucky to have an amazing support system at my gym and they were all thrilled by the results of this test. I have lost weight, gained lean muscle mass, improved my fitness level (from fair in April to superior in September) and lost inches all over my body. I feel good, I sleep better and I actually really look forward to my workouts now. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I’m finally on a path that’s leading to a healthy, happier person.