Spooky Sweets

It’s been a busy few weeks and the blog has suffered for it. I have been keeping up my clean eating habits, though, and feel better and stronger than I ever have.

Halloween was a tough one, but not as bad as I had anticipated. Growing up, Halloween was a huge incentive for me to gorge on candy. It’s a habit that I took with me into adulthood, as I was always the first to dip into the candy jar at the office (and then go back for seconds and thirds and twenty-thirds…) and I happily stocked up on discount mini-chocolate bars on November 1st. It was a problem. But this year I found that, despite an office full of tiny chocolate bars and goodies, I had no desire to indulge.

One thing I did want, or thought I wanted, was a peanut butter cup. Just one. A small treat of what had always been a favourite indulgence. So I decided to go for it. I sat and slowly savoured each tiny bite – nibbling off the ridged edge, then slowly letting each small creamy bite melt in my mouth. And it was… not so great.. The chocolate tasted sort of fake and plastic, the peanut butter seemed overly salty and the whole experience was less than stellar. I finished my treat and felt no desire to have another one. In past years I would have eaten all three in the package, but not anymore. This newfound self-control is still pretty exciting for me.

And even more exciting was slipping into a pair of size 4, (yes, 4!) jeans the other day. I have been losing inches steadily since I dropped sugar and picked up a thrice weekly gym habit instead, so new pants were in order. I have already gone through a set of size 6 work pants that are rapidly growing looser, so I decided to try a 4 and… they fit! I even asked the salesgirl if they were too tight, as I found it hard to believe, but she assured me that they were just perfect. And they are!

Losing weight was never a big motivation for me on this journey and it still blows my mind how quickly my body has transformed. I’m actually eating more food, but now it’s fresh fruit, veggies, lean proteins and whole grains instead of processed junk. And working out has given me more energy then I could have imagined. The other day one of the machines I needed at the gym was in use, so I decided to do a few push-ups while I waited – something I have always struggled with – and I did it! Ten perfect push-ups (not the girl ones either). I wasn’t even tired! I could have done more! When did that happen? I couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of my work-out and I’m smiling now as I write this. Being healthy definitely rocks.