This is Not a Resolution

I decided over my Christmas break that I needed to make 2010 the year that I got my health in order. It wasn't so much a New Year's Resolution, as I always end up breaking those, as it was a re-commitment to something I've been working on to various degrees for years. Shawn and I are thinking we might like to start a family in the next few years and I am realizing that, as I get older, I need to put more effort into keeping my body healthy both for carrying a baby and for the stress that comes with raising one.

So I've committed to continuing to eat better. I've successfully kept my refined sugar intake much lower since July and I think that's a lifestyle change that I can keep up. I have been eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, more lean proteins and way less processed food. Now cutting down my sodium intake has become a new part of the plan. I know that I have lowered my intake by eating less processed foods, but there are still many things that I eat that contain more sodium than they should. Shawn has been great about finding new recipes and foods that include minimal or no sodium at all, but when I am home alone it is hard for me not to turn to a can of this or something frozen. That needs to change.

I also decided to see an acupuncturist and my first appointment was yesterday. I'm not sure what I thought of that. I was recommended to them by someone I trust very much and the doctor I saw was very interested in my health issues and looking at ways that he could help. I did not realize, however, that his treatments included chiropractic elements. I knew that he was also a chiropractor, but thought that we could just do acupuncture. Nope. It was a bit jarring as I've always found the whole idea of cracking and adjusting a bit weird, but I think it went OK. And I enjoyed the acupuncture part. I wasn't expecting to be so tired afterwards, but I did sleep very well for a change. I have to go back for 8-12 more sessions and take some Chinese herbs, so we'll see how this progresses. I will try to have regular updates on the blog.

I'm still going to the gym three days a week too. And walking to work every day. I want to keep up the momentum and continue to see positive changes in my body. My trainer has me doing an exercise called Jackknife currently that tests my terrible balance more than any other previously. Our goal of improving my balance has been very successful thus far and this one is an even tougher test - one that I'm determined to master.

Beyond those changes I've also started setting aside time in the evenings to read and write. I've made a list of the shows I really love and have committed to only watching those and using the other time I have available to write in my journal, work on the novel or read a good book. No more sitting on the couch watching Iron Chef because Shawn likes it and I'm too lazy to bother leaving the room. I've already finished The Year of Magical Thinking and have been feeling so much better about the amount of writing I've accomplished.

Hopefully 2010 will be a better year. One where I am truly able to live my best life.