Love Struck

This week I had the opportunity to attend the book launch for Chantel Simmon’s new novel, Love Struck. Chantel and I were both journalism students at Ryerson together. She went on to be a successful magazine editor and now a bestselling author. It could not have happened to a nicer person.

Chantel’s first book, Life in Downward Dog, was a huge success and last night her editor announced that there were already tons of pre-sales for her newest book. That doesn’t surprise me. Chantel writes the kind of books that women love to read – fun, sassy, a little silly and with wonderfully funny and flawed characters. Her blog, which never fails to make me smile, is another great read.
 
She also knows how to throw one heck of a party. With teeny tiny cupcakes (I’ll admit to having one), heart-shaped ginger cookies (I’ll have to take my friend’s word that they were awesome), Barefoot wine and make-up filled pink goody bags, it was a suitably fabulous shindig. And, most importantly, it was totally representative of Chantel – sweet, fabulous, fun and brimming with pink, sparkly goodness.
 
The night was also a mini-reunion for me, as several other Ryerson alumni made it out. We had a great time catching up and sharing stories – it turns out several of us now work in the parenting world, though I was the only one not still working as a journalist.
 
The launch was a great time and a wonderfully inspiring evening. My novel is currently being read by a friend in publishing and I am even more excited about the possibility of pitching publishers and agents this year. I may not end up being as successful at it as Chantel has been, but she’s a great example of someone who did what she dreamed of doing because, well, she tried!