I Don't Believe in Resolutions


I don’t believe in resolutions, especially New Year’s resolutions. It seems like you’re just setting yourself up for failure, since no one ever seems to keep them. Goals, ‘to do’ lists or plans? I’m totally in favour of those.

So this year I decided to write a ‘to do’ list of the goals I’d like to achieve in 2011. And I decided to make them both big and small. 2010 was an amazing year for achievements. I cut down on my sugar intake (a goal I set in July 2009 and was steadfast in until September 2010), I worked out more often, I tried yoga, I tried krav maga, I took a PhotoShop class and I read more than 50 books. I feel like I achieved a lot, but still not as much as I would have liked. In 2011 I want to focus my momentum and continue to move forward.

The list I wrote is a long one – more than two single-spaced pages – but here are a few highlights. Perhaps by making it public I will feel more inspired to achieve these.

  1. Find a new job that I love. 2010 was a bittersweet year career-wise. I achieved many things, but I also suffered a huge loss when Invest in Kids closed. I am ready for a new beginning in 2011.
  1. Re-commit to my clean eating program. With the job loss and the holidays I’ve wavered in my commitment to avoiding refined sugar and processed foods. I feel better when I eat clean and I need to get back on track.
  1. Continue my dedication to exercise. I love working out. I try to work out at least three times a week and I often succeed. In 2011, I want to work out even more.
  1. Take a yoga class. I did a yoga seminar in the fall and I loved it. The instructor was surprised I had never taken a class, as it was an intermediate seminar and I did pretty well! I would love to add that to my exercise plan on a regular basis.
  1. Continue to save money. This one will be easier once I have a new job, but it’s an important one. I read Gail Vaz-Oxlade’s fantastic book, Debt Free Forever, in 2010 and, while I’m not using the jars she advocates, it has helped to solidify how important it is to remain debt-free. Shawn and I have worked hard to ensure that even with me not working we are not sliding into an unmanageable money mess and I want to make 2011 the year that I really take control of our finances and save, save, save.
  1. Finally pitch my novel. I wrote the draft and then, well, life happened. And then I wasn’t sure it was good enough. This is the year I really need to start making pitches and seeing what actual professionals think. You never know what will happen until you try.
  1. Keep working to live a greener life. In 2010 we made huge leaps towards being more environmentally aware in our day-to-day life. In 2011 I want to continue that progress – I want to phase out all the parfum in my cosmetic products, to eat more organic and local food and to make green choices wherever possible.
  1. Spend more time exploring the city. When I left the music industry in 2007 I did it to have more time to write. And it also opened up the opportunity to spend more time just enjoying the city I live in. I made an effort to see and do so many things – from free festivals to tourist attractions. And it was amazing. But there is still so much I haven’t done yet. In 2011, I want to see and do even more in this incredible city I call home.
  1. Write, write and then write some more. It is my passion and I always feel like I don’t do enough.
  1. Read at least 60 books. I got through 54 in 2010. Some were guilty pleasure reads and some were really important. I want to experience even more in 2011 and, hopefully, get caught up on the backlog of books lining my shelves.