March Resolutions

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but I definitely don't mind making a few every month. For March, I have two big ones that I'm planning to complete.

First and foremost, I'm taking a page out of Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point's book and am declaring March my very first "Eat In Month." February has been insane in terms of the amount of eating out that I've done. It feels like every week has been one big calorie-bomb dinner out after another. This weekend, Shawn and I went away for his birthday. We stayed at The Pillar and Post, which is an incredible inn and spa in Niagara-on-the-Lake. It was amazing, and so were our gourmet meals at The Cannery. They were also so very bad for my not-so-flat abs. I hate not being able to fully enjoy a meal like that, which was so very incredible, because I was thinking about how much I had eaten out this month and how much I had overdone it.

Now, we don't normally eat out every week, but February has been a bit of a crazy one. I had two friends come in from out of town during the same week, it was Valentine's Day and Shawn's birthday, we got together with friends we hadn't seen in a few months, it was Winterlicious in Toronto... So I overdid it. And that means in March I'm going to concentrate on completely under-doing it. No eating out. Period. At all. It's going to be tough, but I'm sure I can manage it if I put my mind to it.

My second March resolution? To write 1,000 words a day of the novel I'm working on. I totally stole this resolution from Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind. In the book, she decides to write a novel in a month - sitting down to write 1,500 words every day. No editing, no reading back, just committing to sitting down and  writing. It may not be the best novel ever written, or the longest, but it will fit the criteria. I have an idea rattling around in my head, but I haven't been able to commit to writing it, so this gives me the opportunity to get started and see where things go. If nothing else, I will at least have done more writing, something that I've always found difficult while I'm working.

So we'll see how my March resolutions go. I feel like they're important ones and that I'll feel better and happier for making a commitment to them. Is anyone else making a resolution for March?