March Resolutions - The Midway Point

So, as it turns out, resolutions are not my thing, regardless of the time of year I set them. Not that my March resolutions have been a total failure thus far. I’ve eaten out a grand total of once so far this month – more than I had hoped, but far less than usual. It was something that was important to my husband and I didn’t have to pay, so in the end I think it was OK to go forward with it. Sometimes you have to look at the situation and decide if it’s worth bending the rules and I think when someone I love asks me to, that’s worth considering.

And, since I started the eat in resolution a few weeks early, I can just look at it as carrying one over from February? Right? OK, maybe that doesn’t wash, but still.

My writing resolution has been even less successful. The first week went really well and I just loved writing more often, but then, as is so often the case, life got in the way. I had an extremely busy weekend and didn’t get to write at all. Then the following week was especially busy too and by the time I had the opportunity to write, I just couldn’t get back my enthusiasm for the project. In The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin seems to have little trouble finding the time to write 1500 words a day, but I think that the fact that she writes for a living probably helped a lot. If I had started this resolution during my lay-off, I have no doubt that I would have succeeded and loved it. For now, I think I’ll just try to write when I can and then when I have more time off I can re-start the resolution. At least I did get the first few chapters of my potential novel out of my head and onto paper!

The one resolution that I’ve kept so far is going to my boot kick class. I’m terrible at it – uncoordinated, unable to remember the moves from one class to the next – but I love it. I like the movements, the energy and learning something different. I think my only issue is that it’s taken away from my strength-training because the class happens twice a week. But I think that if I put my mind to it, I can manage both. I think it’s worth trying.

So wish my luck as I get through the second half of March with a little less resolve and a whole lot more respect for those who can keep their resolutions!