Happy New Year!

As long as I can remember, Labour Day has been my New Year's Eve. It's when I start to feel as though the year is beginning. I haven't been a student in longer than I care to remember, but I've never shaken the habit of seeing September as a new starting point.

So here it is again and I'm feeling particularly ready for a fresh start. I've had a bad few months working at living a healthy life. I have a fantastic job now, but it's busy and stressful. I'm close to home, which is convenient, but I walk less. And I'm further from the gym, so I work out less. Sugar has crept back into my life and I find myself forgetting all the promises I made to myself about living a better life.

And it seems that when it goes, it all goes. I've gained weight, I'm more stressed out, I write less, I feel compelled to do less. Despite the fact that when I was eating well, cutting out sugar and working out I felt a million times better and achieved a million times more, I can't seem to find the willpower to go back there again.

And that's where I find myself this September. Looking at the finger where my wedding ring no longer fits (oh the shame) and realizing that it's time for a change. I've been working out once a week with Shawn - being married to a personal trainer has its benefits - and he is making me really work. And I'm determined to hit the gym on a regular basis again. I miss it. I've also signed up for a 5K in October. I may not be in shape enough to run it, but at least I can make the effort - and it gives me a goal to work towards.

I've also decided that it's time to try cutting out bad-for-me foods again. The first to go? Alcohol. As of tomorrow I'm going to go dry for 30 days. I don't feel like I drink all that much, but when you consider a glass of wine at dinner here, margaritas at the Mexican restaurant there and my beloved amaretto on Sunday nights, it all adds up. Will I go back again after 30 days? Probably. But I'd like to drop the coolers that I've been sipping all summer and go back to the occasional martini. It's easy to drink your calories and this summer I feel like I've had more than my share.

Next up? Sugar. Then salt. I've done both before and I know I can do them again. I just have to make a real effort. I haven't felt up to that recently, but I'm starting to realized that if I wait for a specific motivation, I'll never find it. So I'm just going to have to get off my butt and make it happen. I'm hoping to cut out dairy at some point too - there's no denying that much of the fat wrapped around my fingers is made up of cheese.

Can I do it? I think so. I've done it before. And I plan to blog my way through it. When I was blogging I felt accountable. Since I've slipped off the healthy living wagon, I've fallen out of the blogoshphere too. I'm pretty sure that's not a coincidence. So wish me luck as I set some New Year's Goals and cross my fingers that I can make 'em happen.