Happy Feet


I love to dance. I’m terrible at it, but I love it all the same. When I decided to renew my commitment to fitness and healthy living, I knew that I wanted to dance more. I looked at classes and clubs and all sorts of options, but nothing seemed like a good fit. I’d like to try belly dance, but the thought of trekking through winter weather to a class, let alone finding the time to fit in a class at all was daunting. So I decided that the best option was just to dance!

Once a week I come home straight from work, set up the mats on the floor, pull up my workout playlist and dance. It doesn’t matter if I’m good or bad, if I’ve got two left feet or moves like Jagger, I just move to the music. I set a time that I have to achieve – usually thirty minutes – and then I just go. Most days, I end up doing about forty minutes, just because it’s so much fun. I don’t even feel like I’m exercising.   

Dancing alone isn’t going to keep me healthy, but I think that it provides more than just a chance to add in a little exercise every week – it makes me happy. I feel great when I’m dancing and I’m happy for hours afterward. Dancing ensures that I’m getting in an extra workout outside of my strength-training and walking. It also means that I’m getting a huge endorphin rush once a week – and experts say that’s a really good thing. It will hopefully keep me motivated to move and healthier overall.

Do you have a favourite workout that you just love to do?