New Year, New Me


I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions, but this year I decided to take on some new goals. I always feel like January 1st is the worst time to do that, but so far I feel like it’s going pretty well. To start with, I took the advice of Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point blog and didn’t start on the 1st. On New Year’s Day we always have a crazy, decadent brunch, we laze around the house and any healthy living ideas are pretty much out the window by noon.

Instead, I started when I was back at work. It helped to be far enough removed from the holidays that I didn’t feel like I was missing out on something. I cut way back on sugar, I went to the gym and I felt much, much better. I’m not fully back on the sugar fast yet (peanut butter pretzel bites, why did I buy you?), but I’m avoiding it during the week and working on making better food choices overall.

I miss being healthy. I let myself go over the last year – less time at the gym, less thought going into my food choices and far too few entries into my healthy living blog. Will 2012 see me returning to fighting form? I’m hopeful, but hesitant because I was doing so well and then, well, I failed. But I have hope and a positive outlook moving forward. So no resolutions this year, just the resolve to do better so that I’ll feel better – that’s worth giving up a few peanut butter pretzels, in my opinion.