Workout Music Musings

Today at the gym I accidentally set my iPod to play all Kenny Chesney. Usually, I put it on random and mix things up a bit. Kenny is great, but he has a lot of slow burn songs that I wouldn't necessarily think about working out to. In the end, it was actually pretty great. I found myself remembering all the Kenny Chesney shows I've seen over the years and just sort of drifting away on the music. I was done working out before I knew it and I felt great. Maybe Kenny is better workout music than I thought.

I'm currently doing a more intense program at my gym, as I make a better effort to take off some of the additional weight I've packed on of late. I'm not proud of the fact that I'm almost back to the weight I was  when I started my healthy living changes a few years ago - too much backsliding! With the tougher program I've felt the need for more intense music. I had a bunch of Rob Zombie and Volbeat programmed for tonight, but when the shuffle somehow slid to all Kenny, I decided to let it go - and it worked!

I always think that what you listen to makes a big difference to the quality of your workouts. For awhile I was downloading podcasts of CBC's Q and listening to those while I worked out, but I found it hard to concentrate on the show and my workout. When I was on the stationary bike or the treadmill it was fine, but when I was doing weight training I would lose track of things and that was a pain. Plus, there were segments I found dull and it's hard to break your rhythm to fast forward through them. So podcasts didn't work out for me.

What do you listen to while you work out? Is there something that you recommend? I'd love some suggestions for my workout playlist.

P.S. The new Norah Jones CD ...Little Broken Hearts is fantastic. Not a good workout record, but a great listen and a very different sound for her. Worth checking out.