Juggling

Lately it feels like my whole life is a bit of a juggling act. I love that I'm back on track with my workouts, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't difficult to manage them with my current schedule. I talk to some people who work out all the time and I wonder when and if they sleep.

Right now, I'm working out about 4-5 days a week. I'd like to up it to 5-6 days. I'm not sure how sustainable that is, but I'm doing my best. Part of the problem is that my husband has the morning locked up, so I don't have the option of morning workouts. There just isn't enough space in our house to work out at the same time and to do it one after the other would probably mean a) getting up at 4:30am and b) driving our downstairs neighbours nuts. I also like to write in the morning - one of the few quiet times I have available.

I know people who work out at lunch, but my gym is too far for that. It's a 15 minute walk to get there, so it would be about 25 minutes before I could start working out and then I'd have to start getting changed to walk back about ten minutes into the workout. Not doable. So I work out after I leave the office. I try to do three days at home and one day at the gym, or two and three if I'm lucky and don't have anything scheduled in the evenings that week. But, of course, I don't want to give up all evening activities - it's nice to spend time with friends.

So that means on nights like yesterday, when I'm met a friend after work for a movie, I won't get home until at least 10pm and I won't be able to workout at all. I think it's worth it, but I wonder if I'll ever get on top of all my fitness goals without sacrificing time with friends. Can I really be ready to run a 5k and back in top strength-training shape if I only work out a few days a week? Right now, it doesn't look like it to me.

How do you manage your workouts? I'd love some ideas to make my fitness goals a better fit for my life.